Health Tip: Prevent Bleeding While Taking a Blood Thinner
The U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality suggests how to reduce your risk of bleeding while taking a blood-thinning drug:
- Be very careful when using scissors, knives or nail clippers.
- Shave with an electric razor.
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush and use waxed dental floss.
- Always wear shoes outside and slippers with non-skid bottoms or shoes inside the house.
- Never trim calluses or corns yourself.
- Avoid using toothpicks.
- Use gloves when working in the yard or using sharp tools.
- Don't participate in sports or activities with a high risk of injury.
Posted: August 2011
Recommended for you