Health Tip: Prevent Bed Bugs at Home
-- Bed bugs are excellent at hiding in the seams of chairs, in and around the bed and in the folds of cushions, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says.
The agency suggests how to prevent bed bug infestation at home:
- Check secondhand furniture for any signs of bed bugs before purchasing.
- Use protective covers to encase mattresses and box springs. Check these regularly for holes.
- Reduce clutter so bed bugs have fewer places to hide.
- Unpack directly into your washing machine after a trip. Check your luggage carefully.
- When staying in hotels, place suitcases on luggage racks, not on the floor. Inspect the mattress and headboard for signs of bed bugs.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: July 2018
Read this next
TUESDAY, Oct. 6, 2020 -- The sting of fire ants can be painful and even deadly -- and the threat rises during fall across the southeastern United States. At this time of year,...
MONDAY, Sept. 28, 2020 -- Climate change could give West Nile virus a boost in some areas of the United States, but reduce its spread in other regions, a new study suggests. The...
MONDAY, Aug. 10, 2020 -- Bugs beware: There's a powerful new insect repellent in town. Just approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and known as nootkatone, the...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.