Health Tip: Preparing for Your First 5k Run
-- Running a 5k race is a healthy goal, but it's not something you jump into without training and preparation.
The American Council on Exercise recommends:
- Getting a physical from your doctor before the race.
- Finding a training program that works for you. Make sure your goals for the race are realistic.
- Looking for a training program that takes about five weeks. Begin with about 25 minutes of walking and running, four days a week. Gradually increase the distance and duration. Make each training run a little different.
- Investing in a good pair of cushioned running shoes.
- Preparing a small carb-laden snack, and drinking plenty of water.
- Checking out the course before the race.
Posted: November 2016
Recommended for you