Health Tip: Preparing for the First Day of School
-- Your child may be excited yet anxious about school, especially if he or she is going to a new school.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how to help your child prepare:
- Remind your child about the positives of going to school, such as seeing old friends.
- Talk with your child about what he or she is feeling.
- Explain that most children are nervous about school.
- Talk about the child's accomplishments from last year and the new things to learn this year.
- Offer a note in the lunch box to help your child remember that you're thinking of him or her.
- Assure your child that you will help address any problem that arises.
Posted: August 2014