Health Tip: Preparing For Endurance Exercises
-- The U.S. National Institute on Aging suggests performing endurance exercises as you age.
This type of exercise benefits your cardiovascular system, lungs and circulatory system. Examples include walking, jogging, swimming and biking.
The agency offers these suggestions before starting an endurance exercise regimen:
- Warm up and cool down before and after exercise.
- Drink plenty of fluids when doing any activity that makes you sweat.
- Dress in layers when exercising outdoors, so you can remove a layer if you get too hot.
- If exercise equipment is involved, make sure it's safe and well maintained.
- Walk during the day or in well-lit areas at night, and be aware of your surroundings.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2017
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 29, 2020 -- You might be onto something if you suspect your mental and physical health declined during the COVID-19 lockdown earlier this year. Stay-at-home orders...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 -- Many aspects of daily living can trigger stress. But for Black women, everyday stressors plus racial discrimination and a specific genetic mutation may...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 -- Strokes can happen any time, anywhere and at any age, which is why it's important to know how to reduce your risk, says the American Stroke...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.