Health Tip: Preparing for Baby's First Teeth
-- Baby's first teeth signal an exciting time for new parents, but they can be a source of pain and discomfort for your little one.
Here are suggestions from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Baby should cut the first teeth between 6 months and 12 months, but this can vary. Make sure your child gets fluoride (usually in tap water) by age 6 months.
- Soothe sore gums with gentle massage, something cold and soft to chew on or an occasional dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Don't use teething tablets, teething gels or teething necklaces.
- Brush baby's teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste. Talk to your dentist about whether to use a fluoride varnish.
- Take baby to the dentist when the first tooth emerges.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you