Health Tip: Prepare Shredded Meat in a Slow Cooker
-- Shredded meat and poultry are a great start to a wide range of meals, from chili to Mexican dishes.
But it's important to prepare the meat safely to avoid foodborne illness.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers these suggestions for preparing shredded meat in a slow cooker:
- Refer to your product's manual to determine how much meat your pot can safely hold.
- Refrigerate meat within two hours of purchase, or one hour if the room temperature is above 90 degrees F.
- Use chicken within two days of purchase, and pork or beef within four days.
- Make sure your slow cooker is clean.
- Thoroughly wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before preparing food.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2018
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 2, 2020 -- What next, 2020? In this year of surprising threats to public health, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now investigating a pair of...
TUESDAY, June 30, 2020 -- Swimming and summer are practically synonymous, but getting sick from bacteria in lakes, rivers and the ocean can spoil the fun, U.S. health officials...
WEDNESDAY, June 24, 2020 -- An experimental vaccine helps protect monkeys against bacteria that cause diarrhea in millions of children worldwide, researchers report. Bacterial...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.