Health Tip: Prepare a Nutritious Smoothie
-- While a smoothie can be a nutritious alternative to a regular meal, many smoothies are loaded with sugar and lack sufficient protein.
The American Council on Exercise suggests how to make a smoothie that's more nutritious:
- Start with a heaping portion of romaine, chard, kale, parsley, mint or any other green leafy vegetable.
- Add fruit to sweeten the smoothie instead of added sugar. But ensure that the mix of greens is twice as much as fruit to keep calories down.
- Add protein in the form of protein powder, non-fat milk, Greek yogurt, nuts, nut butter or hemp seeds.
- Add a liquid to make it easier to blend, such as coconut water, water or unsweetened nut milk.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: March 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 29, 2020 -- You might be onto something if you suspect your mental and physical health declined during the COVID-19 lockdown earlier this year. Stay-at-home orders...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 -- Many aspects of daily living can trigger stress. But for Black women, everyday stressors plus racial discrimination and a specific genetic mutation may...
By Michael Merschel American Heart Association News WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- You might assume that portraying video games as bad for your...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.