Health Tip: Practice Window Safety
-- As spring approaches and the weather warms, you should be thinking about window safety and how to prevent falls and fire hazards.
The National Safety Council suggests:
- Never paint or nail a window shut.
- Do not install an air conditioner in a window that may be needed for escape during a fire.
- All window guards, security bars, grilles or grates must have a release mechanism.
- Create an emergency escape plan and practice it often.
- Keep emergencyescape ladders in second- or third-story bedrooms andteach everyone in the homehow to use them.
- Remember that a window screen cannot support a person's weight.
- Never leave children unattended around an open window.
- Any window within a child's reach should always be closed.
- Don't put furniture under a window. Doing so could allow a child to climb on the furniture and fall from the window.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: April 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 -- People who use common asthma controller medications are vulnerable to developing brittle bones and suffering fractures, a new study shows. The findings...
FRIDAY, Oct. 2, 2020 -- They are the closest relatives to humans, but gorillas have been spared one aging disease that people haven't: osteoporosis. The condition triggers...
THURSDAY, Oct. 1, 2020 -- Preventing falls in older age could be as fun as dancing them away, new research shows. Researchers found a 31% reduction in falls and a 37% reduction...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.