Health Tip: Possible Causes of Dry Eye
-- You produce tears to help keep your eyes moist and protected from irritants. But dry eye can make your eyes vulnerable and uncomfortable.
The National Eye Institute says possible causes of dry eye include:
- Certain medications, including birth control pills, antidepressants, antihistamines and blood pressure drugs.
- Diseases of the eye or nearby skin.
- Damage to the eye, such as from chemical exposure.
- Health conditions, such as thyroid problems, allergies or immune disorders.
- Irritation caused by use of contact lenses, or after LASIK surgery.
- Pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy or some homeopathic remedies.
- Not blinking frequently enough during use of a computer screen.
Posted: May 2013