Health Tip: Plan for Better Sleep
-- Even getting a good night's sleep requires some thought and preparation.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions:
- Go to sleep at the same time every night, even on weekends.
- Create a relaxing bedtime ritual.
- Avoid naps.
- Exercise daily.
- Maintain a cool sleeping temperature between 60 degrees and 67 degrees.
- Buy a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Use bright light in the morning to help manage your circadian rhythm.
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes.
- Don't eat heavy meals in the evening.
- If you can't sleep, switch rooms and do something relaxing until you feel tired.
- If you still can't sleep, speak with your doctor to find a sleep professional.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2017
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 23, 2020 -- As most of America prepares for the Nov. 1 return of standard time, 63% want one fixed, year-round time, a new survey finds. "Evidence of the negative...
THURSDAY, Oct. 15, 2020 -- CBD has been widely marketed as a cure-all for whatever ails you, and a new study finds many Americans are buying the sales pitch. Researchers tracking...
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 30, 2020 -- It's long been said that early to bed, early to rise can make you healthy, wealthy and wise. Now, new research supports at least the health...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.