Health Tip: Take Over-the-Counter Medication Wisely
-- When taken as directed, over-the-counter (OTC) medication can be safe and effective, says the National Council on Patient Information and Education.
To take OTC medication wisely, consumers are urged to:
- Read the label. Pay special attention to ingredients, directions and warnings.
- Take only the recommended dose stated on the label.
- Talk to your pharmacist or doctor before combining OTC medicines, or combining an OTC med with prescription medication.
- Keep a record of all OTC medicines, prescriptions and dietary supplements you take.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: September 2019
Read this next
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- It's flu season. In the middle of a coronavirus pandemic. Is this any time to be thinking about your risk of...
THURSDAY, Oct. 8, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Heart attack risk increases quickly after a flu-like illness, while stroke risk rises slower, according to new...
MONDAY, Oct. 5, 2020 -- The common cold can make you miserable, but it might also help protect you against COVID-19, a new study suggests. The researchers added that people...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.