Health Tip: Minimize Breastfeeding Pain
-- Breast-feeding can be painful or uncomfortable, but there are things moms can do to make it a more pleasant experience.
The Nemours Foundation mentions these suggestions to help make breast-feeding more comfortable:
- Ensure baby is properly latched to the breast.
- Apply a special over-the-counter lotion between feedings to prevent dryness.
- When you've finished feeding, take a little bit of breast milk and massage the nipples, allowing them to air dry.
- Nurse more frequently, but for shorter feedings. Nurse on the breast that is less sore.
- Use your finger to gently break baby's suction at the end of a feeding.
- Use different feeding positions.
- Gently massage the breast or apply gentle heat before a feeding.
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack after a feeding.
- Feed with stored milk for a few days, allowing cracked nipples to heal.
- Drink plenty of fluids, and get as much rest as possible.
Posted: March 2012
Recommended for you