Health Tip: Use Medical Devices Safely
-- A medical device is used to diagnose, cure or treat a condition, or to prevent disease.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says a medical device can range in size from a hand-held glucometer to a large breathing ventilator.
Here's the FDA's advice for safe use of a medical device:
- Understand how your device works, and keep instructions accessible.
- Understand and properly respond to device alarms.
- Keep a back-up plan and supplies in the event of an emergency.
- Keep emergency numbers available and updated.
- Educate your family and caregivers about your device.
- Have your doctor and health-care team review your condition and recommend any equipment changes.
- Report serious malfunctions to the device maker and to the FDA.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.