Health Tip: Managing Anemia With Iron
-- Iron deficiency is a common cause of anemia, the lack of a protein called hemoglobin that's needed to carry oxygen-rich blood throughout your body.
If your doctor prescribes an iron supplement, the American Academy of Family Physicians suggests:
- Always take the supplement with something to eat.
- Increase your dose gradually to your doctor's prescribed amount.
- If you become constipated, increase fiber in the foods you eat.
- If the pills upset your stomach, avoid taking them before bed.
- If the supplement has too many side effects, ask your doctor about switching brands.
Posted: August 2016
Recommended for you