Health Tip: Manage Your Child's Allergy
-- Nasal allergy symptoms may include a runny or stuffy nose, watery eyes and sneezing. They may be triggered by both indoor and outdoor allergens.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers this advice for managing nasal allergy symptoms in children:
- Have your child tested for allergens that are causing symptoms, and have the child avoid those triggers, if possible.
- If your child is allergic to animal dander, consider finding a new home for any existing pets.
- If your child is allergic to pests, call an exterminator.
- Reduce dust in the home with frequent cleaning, washing linens in hot water and using allergy-proof covers on pillows and mattresses.
- If the child is allergic to something outside, close the windows and run the air conditioner during hot weather.
Posted: October 2012