Health Tip: Making Ugly Scars Scarce
-- Just about everybody has a scar or two. Although scars can't be eliminated, there are ways to minimize their appearance, the American Academy of Dermatology says.
The academy recommends a consultation between the patient and a dermatologist to decide the best treatment.
Here's a list of possible treatment options:
- Dermabrasion: a machine is used to remove the top layers of skin.
- Surgical scar revision: best suited for wide or long scars, a method of removing a scar and rejoining the normal skin.
- Laser resurfacing: a method of removing acne and chicken pox scars that involves high-energy light to remove damaged skin.
- Soft tissue fillers: injectable collagen used to elevate indented, soft scars.
- Punch grafts: small pieces of normal skin used to replace damaged skin.
- Chemical peels: the use of a chemical to remove the top layer of skin to smooth scars.
Other scar treatments may include pressure bandages, massages, silicone-containing gels or cortisone injections, according to the academy.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2018