Health Tip: Make Your Recipes Healthier
-- Your favorite dishes may be laden with fat, salt and sugar, but that doesn't mean that you have to ban them from your rotation.
Just make healthier substitutions.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Season with herbs and seasonings, instead of salt, butter or oil.
- Sautee dishes using a bit of wine, mild-flavored juice or low-sodium broth, instead of oil or butter.
- Poach fish or skinless poultry in water, herbs or low-sodium broth, instead of frying them.
- Use lean cuts of beef and pork, trimming any fat.
- Swap high-fat cheeses for low-fat versions.
- Use evaporated nonfat milk, instead of whole milk.
- Swap low-fat protein sources, such as lentils or beans, for meat.
- Use canola or olive oil to make salad dressings.
Posted: September 2012
Recommended for you