Health Tip: Make Sure Kids' Shoes Fit Well
-- Kids need sturdy, supportive shoes that fit their growing feet.
Here are some shoe-shopping suggestions from the American Podiatric Medical Association:
- Every few months, your child will probably outgrow shoes and socks.
- Poorly-fitted shoes can irritate your child's feet. Measure feet at each shopping trip, and inspect feet often for signs of irritation.
- Don't let your child wear secondhand shoes. They may not fit correctly, and may spread fungal infections.
- Check the heels of your child's shoes for uneven wear.
- Let your child shop for shoes and help decide which to buy. Buy the size that fits the larger foot.
- Have your child try on shoes with a favorite pair of socks. Make sure the shoes are comfortable right away.
Posted: August 2016