Health Tip: Make Low-Cholesterol Salad Choices
-- A salad isn't automatically a healthier option. With high-fat dressings and toppings, even a salad can wreck your healthy eating plans.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions for tossing a healthier salad:
- Skip higher-fat toppings such as croutons, bacon bits, creamy dressings, eggs and cheese.
- Add healthy protein to your salad in the form of nuts, beans and seeds.
- Skip the dressing, and instead add a squeeze of lemon.
- If you want dressing, order it on the side, dipping your fork lightly into the dressing before spearing your salad.
- Opt for dressings that are fat-free or low-fat.
Posted: January 2012