Health Tip: Lifting Heavy Things
-- Lifting heavy things is a leading cause of workplace injury, says the University of North Carolina.
People who practice smart lifting techniques are less likely to suffer muscle sprains, pulls and injuries caused by heavy lifting.
To properly lift a heavy item, the school recommends:
- Prepare for the load. Think about if you are suited for the job.
- Get as close to the load as possible.
- Keep your back straight and bend at the knees.
- Get a good handhold, and do not twist while lifting.
- While carrying, move your feet to turn.
- To put the load down, bend at the knees.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2019
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 30, 2020 -- Caring for a loved one can be rewarding, but it can also lead to injury. To keep yourself in good physical shape while caregiving, the American Academy...
FRIDAY, Oct. 23, 2020 -- A culture of toughness and resilience is encouraged among elite college rowers, but it can keep them from reporting injuries, a new study finds. There's...
TUESDAY, Oct. 20, 2020 -- Marijuana is fast becoming a favorite medication among older Americans, a new study finds. Cannabis is being used to ease problems such as pain, sleep...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.