Health Tip: Let Shin Splints Heal
- Shin splints occur when too much or too strenuous exercise causes pain in the lower legs. They usually aren't serious.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions on how to help shin splints heal:
- Most shin splints will benefit from plenty of rest. You should not exercise for at least a week, and take a break of at least two-to-four weeks from running.
- Ice the injury for 20 minutes, at least twice a day.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers to ease discomfort.
- For stress fractures, at least a month's rest is required. You should not run or exercise during that time.
Posted: February 2008