Health Tip: Lawn Mowing Safety
-- Mowing the lawn doesn't have to be a dangerous task if some simple preventive techniques are followed.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these safety suggestions:
- Make sure blades are sharp and the mower is working properly, and only inspect the mower when it's turned off.
- Before you start to mow, check the yard for rocks, sticks, toys and any other objects that could get caught in the blades.
- Wear protective gear and clothing, including long pants, sturdy shoes, gloves and safety goggles.
- Never use a lawn mower while barefoot or wearing sandals.
- Never allow someone to ride with you on a riding mower.
- Be especially careful when mowing steep hills.
Posted: June 2008
Recommended for you