Health Tip: Lather Kids With Sunscreen
-- Kids love to play outside during the hot summer months, so parents must not forget to protect them from sunburn.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Apply sunscreen all over the child's face and body, and remember to reapply every two hours, or after the child gets wet.
- Make sure sunscreen is at least SPF 15 and offers protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Apply it even on cloudy days.
- Dress your child in lightweight cotton clothing that covers the legs and arms, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses that offer UVA and UVB protection.
- Encourage your child to play and rest in the shade when the sun's rays are strongest -- between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Be aware that spending time in or near the water usually increases the risk of sunburn from the water's reflection.
Posted: July 2011
Recommended for you