Health Tip: Get to Know Your Pharmacist
-- Your pharmacist may be the health professional that you see more than any other. It's important to get to know that person, since a pharmacist can support your health in many ways.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention mentions some examples:
- Discussing your medication --Pharmacists know all about medication side effects, and the best ways to use medicines.
- Identifying generic alternatives -- Pharmacists can suggest generic alternatives to more expensive prescription drugs.
- Discussing medicine safety --Your pharmacist can offer advice on which over-the-counter medicines are safe to use in combination with prescription meds.
- Managing health issues --For example, you may be able to check your blood pressure at the pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist about the risks of high blood pressure. He or she may direct you to medical care, if needed.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2017
Read this next
SATURDAY, Oct. 17, 2020 -- To mark World Hypertension Day this Saturday, the American Heart Association offers advice on how to lower and control your blood pressure. High blood...
MONDAY, Oct. 5, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Blood pressure among adults decreased significantly during a 45-year period, according to new research that may offer...
MONDAY, Sept. 21, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- A test that measures blood flow changes in the brain shows people with high blood pressure are more likely to...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.