Health Tip: When Kids Walk to School
-- Walking to school is a great way for kids to get exercise. But parents should always teach their children pedestrian safety.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- Make sure kids cross the street only at crosswalks or intersections.
- If it's dark, have children wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight.
- Teach children to walk on the sidewalk, or on the shoulder of the road in the opposite direction of traffic.
- Never allow children to use cell phones or tablets while walking.
- Take extra precautions with small children, who may not be able to judge speed and distance and don't know traffic rules.
Posted: August 2016