Health Tip: Keep Your Gut in Good Condition
-- Everything you eat goes through the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Eating a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables will help keep your gut in good condition, the U.S. National Institutes of Health says.
The NIH suggests ways to maintain a healthier gut:
- Eat slower. Chew your food well before swallowing so you swallow less air and can better realize when you're full.
- Enjoy smaller meals. Eat in moderation to avoid overfilling your stomach. A packed stomach may trigger reflux, when foods and acids back up into the esophagus.
- Set a bedtime for your gut. Limit how much you eat at night.
- Manage stress. Learn healthy ways to reduce stress, such as via relaxation breathing, mindfulness and exercise. Stress may affect digestion.
- Eat at the same times each day. Your GI system may do best on a schedule.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2018