Health Tip: Keep Your Child Safe in the Backyard
-- Though children can get much-needed exercise in the backyard, there's still a chance that they could get hurt.
The American Academy of Pediatrics lists these backyard safety suggestions:
- Make sure your child knows the boundaries of your yard if you don't have a fence, and that someone is always outside supervising your child.
- Look for harmful and potentially toxic plants in your yard, and get rid of them or make sure your child can't reach them.
- Instruct your child not to eat anything from an outdoor plant.
- Be careful with pesticide use in areas where children gather, and avoid using power mowers and other equipment when kids are playing.
- Make sure your child can't reach the barbecue grill while you're using it, and teach your child that a grill is like a stove -- hot, and off-limits.
- Don't let your child near automobile traffic.
Posted: May 2010
Recommended for you