Health Tip: Keep Teeth Healthy During the Holidays
-- Holiday favorite foods can wreak havoc on your teeth, so take care to protect your smile.
The American Dental Association recommends:
- Floss after eating the holiday turkey or ham, which can lodge between teeth.
- Eat cranberry sauce as part of a meal, rather than by itself. This should reduce the chances of it sticking to teeth.
- Opt for yams without marshmallows and sugar. If you do eat the candied variety, have a small amount and drink plenty of water to wash away sugar.
- Eat green bean casserole, a healthy choice.
- Enjoy calcium-rich macaroni and cheese, but brush and floss afterward.
- Dig into mashed potatoes, but skip the gravy. Brush and floss afterward to get rid of the starches that promote bacteria.
- Enjoy a little pumpkin pie to help promote saliva production and wash away other foods.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2016