Health Tip: Keep Nails Healthy
-- The condition of finger nails and toe nails can indicate overall health, so it's important to keep your nails neat and clean.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these healthy-nail suggestions:
- Keep nails clean, dry and trimmed straight across. File finger nails with an emery board to avoid snags.
- Never bite your nails, and leave cuticles intact.
- Don't use nails as a tool for jobs such as opening soda cans.
- If you have any ingrown nails, don't dig them out yourself. See a medical professional for treatment.
- Soak feet in a warm salt water solution before trimming toe nails if they are thick and difficult to cut.
- Wear properly fitted shoes, and protect feet from germs with flip flops or sandals while at the pool or locker room.
Posted: January 2014