Health Tip: Keep Mosquitos Out of Your Yard
-- In addition to being a nuisance and a source of itch, mosquitos can carry a host of serious diseases, including Zika and West Nile.
So how do you rid them from your yard? The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- Every week, empty and clean any outside containers that may hold water. These may include trash cans, bird baths or planters. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water.
- If your outside container doesn't have a lid, cover with a wire mesh. Make sure the mesh is smaller than the size of an adult mosquito.
- If you have a large container that you can't empty, treat it with larvicide (but don't let any person or pet drink the water).
- Repair any cracks or holes in your septic tank, and cover any plumbing or vent pipes with fine wire mesh.
- Apply insecticide in your yard.
Posted: June 2017