Health Tip: Keep Kids From Choking Hazards
-- Choking hazards for small children abound, from food to toys.
The Nemours Foundation mentions these safety precautions to help reduce youngsters' risk of choking:
- Don't give small children foods such as whole grapes or hot dogs, nuts, raw carrots, popcorn, spoonfuls of peanut butter or candies that are hard or chewy.
- Carefully cut children's food into small bites.
- Keep small toys and household items -- including deflated balloons, coins, beads and batteries -- away from young children.
- Offer your child only age-appropriate toys.
- Inspect toys to make sure they don't have small parts that can break off.
Posted: December 2012