Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
-- Irritable bowel syndrome can trigger cramps, abdominal pain, diarrhea and gas. But the cause is unclear, and an examination of the colon usually turns up no signs of the disease.
The American Gastroenterological Association offers these general treatment suggestions:
- Eat a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet.
- Avoid foods that appear to trigger your symptoms, such as dairy products or foods that are high in fat.
- Avoid eating large meals in one sitting. Instead, have smaller meals throughout the day.
- Make sure you get enough fiber each day. But avoid a high-fiber diet, which can actually worsen some IBS symptoms.
- Consider counseling to help manage emotional health concerns.
- Research and practice stress management and relaxation methods.
Posted: September 2012
Recommended for you