Health Tip: Keep Cool in Extreme Heat
-- When temperatures and humidity levels soar, so can the risk of heat-related illness. People at highest risk include those with a chronic disease, the elderly, young children and infants.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these tips for staying cool during hot weather:
- Stay indoors in the air conditioning as much as possible.
- Drink a lot of fluids throughout the day.
- Wear clothing that is lightweight, fits loosely and is light in color.
- Apply sunscreen.
- Limit outdoor activities, and carefully pace yourself when outdoors.
- Take a cool bath or shower.
- Set up a buddy system to check on friends and neighbors, and ask them to do the same for you.
- Pay attention to local news and weather updates.
- Never leave a child inside a vehicle.
Posted: July 2012
Recommended for you