Health Tip: Keep Bugs at Bay
-- Insect bites can itch, cause pain, and be quite uncomfortable. While they can't always be prevented, there are ways to reduce your chances of being bitten.
Here are suggestions to help prevent insect bites, courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Don't poke, pick up or otherwise provoke insects.
- Be cautious around nests and hives, and avoid sudden or rapid movement.
- Avoid heavy perfumes, and clothing that has a floral pattern.
- Wear protective clothing that covers the skin, and apply insect repellent when you're outside.
- Pay attention when eating outside, especially when drinking sugary beverages or sitting near garbage cans.
- People with known allergies to bites or stings should carry an emergency epinephrine kit.
Posted: August 2007