Health Tip: Keep Active by Walking
-- Walking is a great form of exercise, especially for people who are overweight and don't particularly like to do pushups or jumping jacks.
The Weight-control Information Network offers these suggestions for people who are overweight and want to begin a walking program:
- To begin, walk for five minutes each day. The second week, walk for eight minutes at a time.
- When you feel comfortable, increase your walks to 11 minutes each.
- Over time, slowly increase the duration of your walks, giving your heart, lungs and legs a good workout.
- Buy a pair of comfortable walking shoes that offer good support. Be sure to replace shoes when they show signs of wear.
- Make your exercise more fun by walking around a shopping mall or park, or by taking a friend with you.
Posted: February 2013
Recommended for you