Health Tip: Install Smoke Detectors at Home
-- Installing smoke alarms in your home is one of the most important steps you can take to protect your family.
The American Red Cross advises:
- Place smoke alarms throughout the home, including in rooms where people sleep, on each level and outside each bedroom.
- Make sure children know what a smoke detector sounds like, and that they know what to do if they hear one.
- Perform monthly tests on your devices, changing batteries at least annually. Get new smoke detectors every ten years.
- Never turn off a smoke detector.
- Don't use a carbon monoxide alarm in place of a smoke detector. They serve different purposes. Know how they both work and why both are needed.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you