Health Tip: If You're Pregnant and Have Diabetes
-- Women who have diabetes should take precautions to ensure that both mother and baby stay healthy throughout pregnancy.
High maternal blood sugar can harm the developing baby, resulting in birth defects or miscarriage. This is especially true during the first few weeks of pregnancy, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases says.
The agency suggests what diabetic pregnant women should do to stay healthier:
- Strive for normal blood sugar levels before and during pregnancy.
- Get routine medical checkups.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly, following your doctor's instructions.
- Take your diabetes medication, as directed by your doctor.
- Stop smoking.
- Take folic acid and general multi-vitamin supplements, as approved by your doctor.
Posted: April 2018