Health Tip: Taking an Herbal Supplement
-- Any product labeled "herbal" doesn't automatically make it safe. So, it's important to carefully evaluate any herbal supplement.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Don't look straight to herbal remedies if you get sick. See your doctor, find out what's wrong, and get the physician's advice on treatment.
- Skip herbal remedies altogether if you are pregnant or are trying to conceive.
- Never give herbal supplements to an infant.
- Never take more of an herbal remedy than its manufacturer recommends.
- Read labels, and only use products that specifically list which herbs (and amounts) are included.
- Always tell your doctor about any herbal products that you are taking.
- If you have any plant, flower or pollen allergies, pay attention to what's in the herbal supplements you're considering.
- Understand that there are no guarantees with herbal products, and that manufacturer or seller claims may not necessarily be accurate.
Posted: June 2009
Recommended for you