Health Tip: Help Your Child Cope With Diabetes
-- Diabetes will change a child's life, and the lives of close family members.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions to help your child cope with his or her condition:
- Learn as much as you can about diabetes -- together.
- Encourage your child to disclose the condition to family members and close friends, whenever the time feels right.
- Promote your child's participation in managing his or her own diabetes care.
- Have your child speak with other children who have diabetes.
- Talk together about what emotions your child is dealing with. Allow both positive and negative comments, but assure your child that everything will be OK.
- Don't let diabetes take over your child's life. Encourage participation in sports, hobbies and other activities.
- Acknowledge that habits and behaviors may change over the years to better manage diabetes.
- Help your child learn how to deal with stress.
Posted: May 2009
Recommended for you