Health Tip: Help Protect Young Athletes
-- Participating in sports is a great way for kids to get exercise and to be involved in school and community, but precautions must be taken to help avoid injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these recommendations to help young athletes stay safe:
- Make sure your child is fit enough to play his or her chosen sport.
- Your child should understand and follow the rules of the sport.
- Your child should always wear protective equipment, -- including a helmet, shin guards, etc. -- as appropriate for the sport.
- Teach your child how to properly use and adjust the equipment.
- Teach your child to always warm up appropriately.
- Your child should never be allowed to play sports when he or she is extremely tired or in some kind of pain.
Posted: May 2009