Health Tip: Help Prevent Fires at Home
-- A little extra attention and some preparation can help reduce the risk of a fire at home.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- When cooking, never leave food on the stove without someone watching.
- Also when cooking, don't wear loose clothing that may catch fire.
- Avoid smoking at home, and quit smoking if you can.
- Keep a space heater at least three feet from any flammable object or material.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms on each floor.
- Develop an escape plan to get out of the home if there's a fire, and have everyone in the home practice it.
Posted: October 2010
Recommended for you