Health Tip: Help a New Mom With Postpartum Depression
-- Postpartum depression causes symptoms including unhappiness and hopelessness among new moms.
The good news is that it's usually temporary and treatable, Postpartum Support International says.
The organization offers these suggestions for the partner of a woman with postpartum depression:
- Reassure her that the condition is not her fault, that she is not alone, and that she will get better and feel better.
- Encourage her to talk about her feelings. Be a good listener.
- Help with housework without being asked.
- Encourage her to take time for herself.
- Be realistic about what time you'll be home, and come home on time.
- Help her reach out to others for support and treatment.
- Schedule some time with her. Work together to find a babysitter.
- Offer simple affection and physical comfort. Be patient if she is not craving affection or sex.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2018