Health Tip: Help Kids Maintain Healthy Cholesterol
-- Most people don't worry about high cholesterol until they become adults, but the truth is that cholesterol can be a problem in childhood.
Here's what the American Academy of Family Physicians suggests:
- Encourage your child to eat at least five daily servings of fruit and vegetables.
- Build meals and snacks around lean proteins, whole grains and veggies.
- Limit trans and saturated fats, found in animal and dairy products, fried foods and processed foods.
- Avoid fast food. If you do eat it, opt for healthier menu choices.
- Limit screen time (TV and computers) to no more than two hours per day.
- Encourage your child to get at least one hour of physical activity daily. Schedule fun family outings, such as a hike or bike ride.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: March 2017