Health Tip: Help Keep Your Baby's Crib Safe
-- Parents should get a better night's sleep knowing their baby's crib is safe.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued these crib safety suggestions:
- Make sure crib slats are no more than 2 3/8 inches apart, and that there are no cutouts or bedposts higher than 1/16 inch.
- Avoid any type of crib toy.
- If you use a mobile, make sure the baby can't reach it, even when sitting up.
- Place the crib away from windows, wall decorations, dressers and tables.
- Make sure crib mattresses and sheets fit snugly. Railings should be bite-resistant for teething babies.
- Choose a crib with an adjustable mattress so you can lower it as the baby starts crawling and pulling up.
Posted: December 2012