Health Tip: Help Ease Separation Anxiety at Night
-- Some children have trouble falling asleep at night because they fear separation from their parents.
The University of Michigan Health System suggests how to help children cope with this issue:
- Allow your child choices during the bedtime routine, such as the order and type of activities.
- Set a reasonable bedtime, and a reasonable bedtime routine that precedes it.
- Establish firm rules (such as don't get out of bed), and make sure your child understands them.
- Adjust the morning wake time if your child takes a long time to fall asleep.
- Talk about the nightly bedtime routine in advance, so kids know what to expect when bedtime comes.
Posted: November 2013
Recommended for you