Health Tip: Be Healthier for the Holidays
-- The holiday season is filled with food, but many holiday favorites aren't exactly healthy.
The United States Department of Agriculture suggests:
- Make your holiday recipes healthier. When baking, opt for unsweetened applesauce or bananas instead of butter.
- Include all food groups in your holiday meals, using the healthiest ingredients. Opt for whole grains, lean proteins and low-fat dairy. Skip gravies and sauces, which may be loaded with salt and fat.
- Sip on seltzer, or water with fresh fruit slices. Cut the sugar in recipes, or opt for yogurt and fruit instead of a pie.
- Emphasize games, conversation and fun, and focus less on food. Include exercise in your festivities.
- Find healthy ways to use holiday leftovers in soups and omelets.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2016