Health Tip: Go Green For the Holidays
-- You can make green choices in everyday life, including during the holiday season, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
Simple activities such as recycling, reusing, walking, biking and conserving water are easy ways to make green decisions.
Between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, Americans throw out 25 percent more trash than other times during the year, the agency says.
The CDC offers these "green" suggestions for the holidays:
- Decorate with things you will use year after year.
- Plant your holiday tree outside after the holidays, or dispose of it at a chipping facility.
- Limit holiday lights or use LED lights.
- Give durable gifts that are made from recycled materials, or look for locally made goods.
- Make gifts yourself by knitting or crafting.
- Give in ways that will support your community, such as by gifting tickets to a local show or museum.
- Wrap your gifts creatively by using old maps, sheet music, fabric scraps, etc.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2018
Read this next
TUESDAY, Oct. 20, 2020 -- As the air people breathe gets dirtier, their odds for serious neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's and other dementias rises,...
MONDAY, Oct. 19, 2020 -- New parents preparing a bottle for their baby should know the infant may ingest unwanted microplastics along with the nourishing formula, a new study...
TUESDAY, Oct. 6, 2020 -- The sting of fire ants can be painful and even deadly -- and the threat rises during fall across the southeastern United States. At this time of year,...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.