Health Tip: Gestational Diabetes May Endanger Mother and Baby
-- Gestational diabetes occurs when blood sugar levels become abnormally high during pregnancy.
The Womenshealth.gov website says gestational diabetes increases the risk of these complications:
- Having a premature delivery.
- Developing preeclampsia, which causes high blood pressure during pregnancy.
- Requiring a Cesarean delivery.
- Having a very large baby, which can make delivery difficult.
- Development in the baby of jaundice, breathing problems or low blood sugar.
Posted: September 2011