Health Tip: First Aid for a Bleeding Wound
-- An open wound can be frightening. But knowing how to administer first aid can help stop the bleeding and begin healing.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to care for a bleeding wound:
- Using a clean cloth, tissue or gauze, apply firm, yet gentle, pressure to the bleeding wound.
- If the cloth or gauze becomes soaked, leave it there and add another piece, holding it in place for at least 20 minutes.
- If the injury is to an arm or leg, raise it above the heart.
- Cover injury with a bandage if it is prone to becoming dirty or irritated.
- Injuries to the mouth, face and head may bleed more heavily than other areas because of a large concentration of blood vessels.
Posted: July 2014
Recommended for you